Why are there client-only encodings? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Why are there client-only encodings?
Date
Re: Why are there client-only encodings?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
I wanted to allow WIN1250 as a server-side encoding, in light of the
Windows port.  Now I wonder why there are client-only encodings at all.
Without knowing details, it seems the client-only encodings are all
"Windows world" encodings.  So was the original reason not to allow
these as server encodings that the server doesn't run on Windows?  If
so, should the category client-only encodings be abolished?

--
Peter Eisentraut