Re: fsync vs open_sync - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mark Wong
Subject Re: fsync vs open_sync
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Sun, Sep 05, 2004 at 12:16:42AM -0500, Steve Bergman wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-09-04 at 23:47 -0400, Christopher Browne wrote:
> > The world rejoiced as merlin.moncure@rcsonline.com ("Merlin Moncure") wrote:
> > > Ok, you were right.  I made some tests and NTFS is just not very
> > > good in the general case.  I've seen some benchmarks for Reiser4
> > > that are just amazing.
> >
> > Reiser4 has been sounding real interesting.
> >

> Are these independent benchmarks, or the benchmarketing at namesys.com?
> Note that the APPEND, MODIFY, and OVERWRITE phases have been turned off
> on the mongo tests and the other tests have been set to a lexical (non
> default for mongo) mode.  I've done some mongo benchmarking myself and
> reiser4 loses to ext3 (data=ordered) in the excluded tests.  APPEND
> phase performance is absolutely *horrible*.  So they just turned off the
> phases in which reiser4 lost and published the remaining results as
> proof that "resier4 is the fastest filesystem".
>
> See: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=reiserfs&m=109363302000856
>

> -Steve Bergman

Reiser4 also isn't optmized for lots of fsyncs (unless it's been done
recently.)  I believe the mention fsync performance in their release
notes.  I've seen this dramatically hurt performance with our OLTP
workload.

--
Mark Wong - - markw@osdl.org
Open Source Development Lab Inc - A non-profit corporation