Re: Suggestion for improving Archives - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: Suggestion for improving Archives
Date
List pgsql-www
On Sun, 5 Sep 2004, John Hansen wrote:

>> Marc again dropped last time modification header, so it's
>> impossible to sort results by date (in general case ) without
>> specific parser.
>
> Yes, that is unfortunate, but the code required to make this happen puts
> stress on the archives to some degree.
>
>> Also, he changed template for message. These changes cause
>> recrawling the whole archive each time and overloading
>> archives.postgresql.org More specific search engine could use
>> another source of information which messages to crawl, but
>> one we use at pgsql.ru is a general search engine and it
>> can't get modification date without proper header.
>
> There should be no need to reindex the entire archive because of a
> template change, since if you honor the embedded
> <!--noindex-->..<!--/noindex--> tags, the body text never changes.
> Unless of course, you want to keep an up-to-date cached copy.

I think what Oleg is referring to is that search engines generally compare
the Last-Modified header before pulling in the whole file, to see if they
are the same or not ... php, unfortunately, sets that to now(), so as far
as SE's are concerned, every time they index is a new file :(

I'm going to play with mhonarc this week to see if I can get it to
properly set Last-Modified to Date based on the message itself ... that
will clean up that mess ...

Oleg, is there anything that I can put into <HEAD></HEAD> for this?  To
avoid having to use PHP to do it?

----