Re: Postgresql 8.0 beta 1 - strange cpu usage statistics and slow vacuuming - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shelby Cain
Subject Re: Postgresql 8.0 beta 1 - strange cpu usage statistics and slow vacuuming
Date
Re: Postgresql 8.0 beta 1 - strange cpu usage statistics and slow  (Gaetano Mendola <mendola@bigfoot.com>)
List pgsql-general
--- Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Ah-hah.  The win32 hackers should confirm this, but
> my recollection is
> that sync/fsync are no-ops under Cygwin (one of the
> several reasons
> we would never recommend that port for production
> use).  So this would
> fit the assumption that the 7.4 code was simply not
> syncing.

Sounds reasonable.  However, I don't see the same
performance hit while doing bulk database operations
(ie: inserts, deletes, updates).  Is that expected
behavior?  Do vacuum operations fsync()/_commit() more
often?

Regards,

Shelby Cain