Re: 8.0 Press Release: the PRODUCTIVE thread. - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: 8.0 Press Release: the PRODUCTIVE thread.
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

> So, budding writers:
>
> I'd like to see some sample text here.  But please remember that the *entire*
> press release will be less than 1000 words, so no paragraph-long descriptions
> of a single feature!  (for example, Rod's description of replication options
> was nice but would have to be condensed to about 14 words, if we include it
> at all)  More detailed descriptions will go on our "news" page.
>
> As a compromise between Peter's perspective and mine/Andrew's, I think that we
> should focus on the features but name-drop.  So we need to work in company
> names at appropriate points, namely Fujitsu, Afilias, Red Hat, Open Source
> Development Labs, Command Prompt, 2nd Quadrant, and SRA-America (am I
> forgetting someone?).   The names should get across the multi-company
> involvement without dwelling on it.
>
> Please take a stab at:
>
> P1: announce landmark 8.0 version, 200 developers, etc.  4-5 lines, starting
> with a sentence that covers who-what-when.
>
> P2: major features, windows port, contributions by several new companies,
> work with OSDL.  4-5 lines, again.
>
> List: Major features:
>     Windows Port
>         Savepoints
>         PITR
>         Tablespaces
>         Memory/I/O overhaul
>         Planner improvements
> -- each of the above should include 10 to 20 words about what the feature is
> and why people should be excited about it.

I think this one could also include references to the company (or
companies) that helped make the new features happen ... I note you do
mention the various companies in P2 above, but figured you were seperating
the P2 stuff from List stuff?

----