Re: postgres in freebsd jail - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bill Moran
Subject Re: postgres in freebsd jail
Date
List pgsql-general
"Reko Turja" <reko.turja@liukuma.net> wrote:

> > I am using postgresql 8.0beta in a freebsd jail environment. My
> > inittdb
> > gives me a message like:
> > ---
> > creating template1 database in /home/..../db/base/1 ... FATAL:
> > could
> > not create shared memory segment: Function not implemented
> > DETAIL:  Failed system call was shmget(key=1, size=1187840, 03600).
> > child process exited with exit code 1
> > initdb: failed
>
> Have you enabled jail.sysvipc_allowed sysctl for kernel? I haven't run
> Postgresql in jail myself but as far as I know the sysctl above is
> needed in order to use sysv IPC and shared memory functionality inside
> the jail.

I was unable to get Postgres working in a jail even with this sysctl
enabled.  If you look through the archives, you'll see a discussion with
others who have it working just fine.

The upshot is that, personally, I don't know.  I have not yet had time to
track down the problem.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies