Re: [ADMIN] Pseudo-Off-topic-survey: Opinions about future of Postgresql(MySQL)? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [ADMIN] Pseudo-Off-topic-survey: Opinions about future of Postgresql(MySQL)?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Enrique Ariz�n wrote:
>  Now that CA has open sourced Ingres what future do
> you guess to Postgresql and MySQL?
>
>  Don't missunderstand me, I have been using Postgresql
> for more than 3 years and developing apps against it
> and all I got is possitive impressions, but comparing
> the upcoming 8.0 (7.5) release with Ingres, it looks
> that Ingres is much more advanced (clustering,
> load-balancing, XML, ...) and the main advantage
> Postgresql had in its open source nature looks to be
> vanished. More one, CA looks really serious about
> Ingres that now is a core tool in more of 100
> derivates CA products, and it's said they had doubled
> the number of Ingres developers. Also the new version
> provides a great compatibility with Oracle and
> "easify" Oracle to Ingres port. Is there any OBJETIVE
> reason not to change to Ingres?

Good question.  We heard the same things when SapDB came out. SapDB was
moved into the MySQL AB company and renamed MaxDB.  I don't think there
is any more community development of it, just like MySQL.

Basically, what we have is quality code and a vibrant community.  Those
aren't easy to create.  In fact, that's what makes open source powerful.

Pennsylvania19073