Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
I have replied with my personal opinion in another email.

Below you have clearly expressed your opinion on the matter and now we
should decide as a community if we should follow your suggested
approach.

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > What typically happens is that the company has had 1-2 years to recover
> > their costs and make a profit, and they usually donate the code to the
> > project, give us the code to take the parts we can make use of, or just
> > abandon the project and move all their customers to the community
> > solution.  However, sometimes things don't work that cleanly.
> >
> > Do we promote proprietary add-on software, and if so, how?  And if there
> > are similar open-source solutions, does that affect the issue?
>
> Well let me be clear on a couple of things with this.
>
> 1. I do not expect the community to be Command Prompt's marketing arm.
> 2. I do not expect better billing than an OSS component.
>
> The most obvious example of course is what started all of this which
> was Slony-I/Mammoth Replicator.
>
> I have zero problem with the mention, of Slony in the press release. I
> do believe that it is a good product and CMD will make a ton of money
> supporting it. So the more presence it receives the better.
>
> However, I also believe that Mammoth Replicator would deserve equal
> mention, especially since Mammoth Replicator is more mature and they
> really are different products that serve a similar but not identical
> purpose.
>
> Also specifically for 8.0 it may be of interest to note that Slony won't
> currently run on what is about to be our most popular platform, Windows.
> However Mammoth Replicator will.
>
> So in answer to your second question, I would say no I don't believe
> that it effects the issue. If there is an OSS component that serves the
> same purpose by all means reflect that. I just feel that we may be
> potentially ignoring a very important piece of the community by not
> highlighting closed source products that utilize PostgreSQL.
>
> I would say, either promote all relevant add on software or promote none.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>

> --
> Command Prompt, Inc., home of Mammoth PostgreSQL - S/ODBC and S/JDBC
> Postgresql support, programming shared hosting and dedicated hosting.
> +1-503-667-4564 - jd@commandprompt.com - http://www.commandprompt.com
> Mammoth PostgreSQL Replicator. Integrated Replication for PostgreSQL

[ Attachment, skipping... ]