Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 10:10:18AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

> So far we've had 45 posts debating what should be, in my opinion, A
> SINGLE SENTENCE in a press release which ISN'T WRITTEN YET.  Maybe
> we could discuss more pertinent stuff, like the general theme of
> the release?

Hear, hear.

> The reason to use this theme -- aside from attracting reporters --
> is that "partnerships" is currently widely perceived to be a
> weakness of our project.

I also think it's important because this year at OSCON we heard
repeated remarks of "we're using PostgreSQL, and you can quote me on
it."  That's new, and it needs to be nurtured.  The primary way to
nurture that in the business climate is to say it many more times,
preferably over loudspeakers -- i.e. in press releases.

> impression (based on my conversations at LWE and elsewhere) that PostgreSQL
> does not have "business momentum".   I think we can turn that around.

Exactly.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
I remember when computers were frustrating because they *did* exactly what
you told them to.  That actually seems sort of quaint now.
                --J.D. Baldwin