Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 12:35:19AM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> IMHO ... I would think that 8.0.0 brought enough to a press release to be
> able to stand on its own ... I question not that we don't promote
> commercial products, but that we are promoting anything but that which we
> are releasing: PostgreSQL RDBMS 8.0.0 ... anything else draws focus *away*
> from that ...

There is a pretty serious reason to mention Slony-I in the context,
however.  A big pile of features in this release are enterprise-level
features.  PITR, nested transactions, and tablespaces are three
things that the Other Really Big Database2 products could offer that
we could not.  But enterprise users have historically had a nightmare
in upgrading, also.  I know that others with even moderately large
databases and any sort of uptime guarantees have faced the same
problem I have: you can't afford to go down for many hours to dump
and restore your database.

Well, Slony-I solves your problem.  Its cross-version design means
that version upgrades are now a matter of a few minutes' downtime,
_plus_ you have a roll-back answer if you need it.  Compared to
previous white-knucke upgrade procedures, Slony-I is a big deal.

----
Andrew Sullivan