Re: Theme of Press Release - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Theme of Press Release
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Marc, Peter,

> Corporate theme sounds cool to me ... but, didn't we already do that press
> release?  I thought that you wrote (co-wrote?) concerning Fujitsu
> emphasis'd that quite eloquently ...

Yeah, but it was only on NewsForge, which isn't read much outside of OSS
circles.  Here I'm trying to reach CNN and CNet.

> I like to think that the theme of any press release announcing a new
> software release should be "what does this do for me".  (This is more
> generally true of anything you write.)  We have plenty of new features
> that you can map to prominent terms such as flexibility, performance,
> safety, ease of administration, etc. while still staying on topic and
> conveying actual information to the public.
etc ...

Hmmm ... yeah, good point.  And I suppose if we just mention the sponsorships
somewhere breifly or quote people, it accomplishes the same thing.   One
thing I'm struggling with is how to write this up; last release, as you
pointed out, we used the word "enterprise" about a gazillion times.   I'd
like to find some verbal way to "package" our progress which reporters will
understand without repeating last release.

Ideas?  Keep in mind that most of the press won't have the foggiest idea what
Point In Time Recovery is, just that Oracle has it.   And, unfortuantely, if
we can't get the press excited about the release we can't reach potential
users because it won't get printed.

--
-Josh Berkus
 "A developer of Very Little Brain"