Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
Date
Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
List pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Chris Travers wrote:

> Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>> Marc,
>>

>>> But this comes back to promoting some projects as being more important
>>> then others, bestoying(sp?) a pseudo-official status on them ...
>>> pginstaller, IMHO, makes sense since its pretty much a requirement for
>>> anyone wishing to use Pg 8.0.0 on Windows ...
>>>

>> Yep.   That's the way the mainstream press works; they're not interested in
>> technical merit of individual projects, they are interested in what's
>> currently buzzword-compliant.   Replication is sexy, HA is sexy, PITR is
>> sexy, high performance is sexy, enterprise Java is sexy.   A lot of other
>> features and add-ons which are very valuable to the community are not
>> interesting to the general press.  For the Press Release, which is designed
>> to go to reporters, we need to pack it densly with stuff that's going to
>> appeal to them.
>>

> What about some mention like:
> This release is bundled with the open source replication solution, Slony-I.
> Other commercial replication solutions are available from other vendors, such
> as Command Prompt, Incorporated.
>
> Does this satisfy everyone's needs?

No, as Slony-I is not bundled with, or has anything to do with, this
release ... Slony-I is a seperate, independent project developed by a
commercial entity (Afilias) and released Open Source very early in its
lifecycle ...

----