Re: About pgevent - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: About pgevent
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> The discussion back when it was decided weighted things back and
> forth. The main thing is that we'd include an extra build dependency
> for win32, which would be the Microsoft toolkit, several hundred Mb
> to download just to build a 32 byte file.

Think about what "open source" means.  It doesn't mean that we give our
users binary blobs compiled on some guy's machine, because it's too
inconvenient to obtain the build tools.  If it's too inconvenient to
obtain build tools, you use a binary distribution anyway.

On closer inspection this stuff should probably be moved to src/utils in
any case.  It's clearly not a user binary, so it doesn't belong under
src/bin.

--
Peter Eisentraut