Re: Point in Time Recovery - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Point in Time Recovery
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD wrote:

> > > I was wondering about this point - might it not be just as reasonable
> > > for the copied file to *be* an exact image of pg_control?  Then a very
> > > simple variant of pg_controldata (or maybe even just adding switches to
> > > pg_controldata itself) would enable the relevant info to be extracted
> >
> > We didn't do that so admins could easily read the file contents.
>
> If you use a readable file you will also need a feature for restore (or a tool)
> to create an appropriate pg_control file, or are you intending to still require
> that pg_control be the first file backed up.
> Another possibility would be that the start function writes the readable file and
> also copies pg_control.

We will back up pg_control in the tar file but it doesn't have to have
all correct information. The WAL replay will set it properly I think.
In fact it has to start recovery checkpoint settings, not the backup
setting at all.

Pennsylvania19073