Re: Is "trust" really a good default? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Is "trust" really a good default?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Certainly, I'm not saying it shuold change (I've given that up by
> now). But the difference would be that if you used -W with initdb, it
> would change the default *for that installation*.
> Initdb-with-no-parameters would stay the same to keep people who
> don't know about the switches happier.

The fallacy with this line of thought is that it assumes that one
authentication scheme applies to all ways of connecting.  Often, the
postgres account is not password protected for local access, for the
benefit of autovacuum and that sort of maintenance.  Still I might like
passwords for remote access.  The bottom line is, the user has to
figure this out himself.

--
Peter Eisentraut