Re: Critique needed for contact-DB draft - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: Critique needed for contact-DB draft
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 02:27:37 +0200,
  "Felix E. Klee" <felix.klee@inka.de> wrote:

> I'm especially interested on your take of my use of arrays. They avoid
> the need for additional tables, but maybe they are not good,
> nevertheless?
>
> BTW, what I'm really missing is as a newbie is a way to define new data
> types as "structures" as known from e.g. the C programming language (or
> is this supported by PostgreSQL?). That would IMHO be a more natural
> concept for storing data (for example, then I could create an array of
> addresses for each contact).

You don't want to do that. You want to have a person table and a table
that contains a record for each contact address combination. Depending
on how you are using the addresses you might also want a separate address
table.