Re: Point in Time Recovery - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Point in Time Recovery
Date
Re: Point in Time Recovery  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 22:19, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > To have a consistent recovery at all, you must replay the log starting
> > from a checkpoint before the backup began and extending to the time that
> > the backup finished.  You only get to decide where to stop after that
> > point.
> >

> So the situation is:
> - You must only stop recovery at a point in time (in the logs) after the
> backup had completed.
>
> No way to enforce that currently, apart from procedurally. Not exactly
> frequent, so I think I just document that and move on, eh?

If it happens, could you use your previous full backup and the PITR logs
from before stop stopped logging, and then after?  Is there a period
where they could not restore reliably?

Pennsylvania19073