Re: win32 port - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: win32 port
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 02:01:57PM +0100, nobody wrote:

> The PostgreSQL traditionally refuses to run under root account on Unix (for
> security reasons). On win32 the situation is the same (it will not run if
> run under user belonging to administrator group).
> In my opinion this should not be the case on win32 as developers are likely
> to belong to the administrators group and might like to run the database
> under their account.

Nah, this has been proposed and rejected at least a couple of times
already.  The reason is that Postgres does not want to be the next
worm-causing program out there.  Sloppy security on the grounds of ease
of use is exactly the reason why Microsoft products are full of security
programs.

There's a reason for refusing to run as root on Unix, and the same
reason holds on Windows.  Much more strongly, I might add.

"Hay quien adquiere la mala costumbre de ser infeliz" (M. A. Evans)