Re: [LONG] Need help on pg_dump! - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Ennio-Sr
Subject Re: [LONG] Need help on pg_dump!
Date
List pgsql-novice
* Ennio-Sr <nasr.laili@tin.it> [080704, 15:57]:
> Hi all!
> Something weird seems to be happening when I try to restore a db,
> pg_dumped on PC 1, on a second PC.
> [ ... cut ...]

Finally I got my data on the 2nd PC :-)
Unfortunately, I'm not able to state how, as it could depend on many
changes I made. May be experts among you can throw some light on the
issue:

As I said on my previous post (answering Mike, non yet on the list) I
tried a combination of commands with no success.
Then rebooted (PC no. 2) choosing kernel 2.4.18 and tried the same
commands again: sometimes I got the tables structures, sometimes not
even these and always no rows with data ...
After that I looked for regression test but could not find the relative
package (I read that postgresql-test conflicts with the 7.2 currently
running but was unable to find where the 7.2 compatible version is!).
So I decided to install all missing packages, i.e. postgresql-dev and
postgresql-contrib: no chance to get the pg_regress but, when as
ordinary user I did:
$ pg_restore -d mydb db.out
I got back my data, finally :-)))
Now, the point is:
. is it possible that k 2.2.22 was responsible for that strange
  behaviour?
. or it was related to some libs which were installed with pg-dev and
  pg-contrib?
One further note:
When I was trying invain all suggested commands (taken from PG
Documentation or suggestions on Google) I could see a lot of stuff (my
data) passing on the screen during command execution: a look into the file
I was sometime redirecting the output to (see below) shows that the
'copy' command was being given and, apparently, executed, although non
rows where in effect being added to the tables:
> -- Data for TOC Entry ID 67 (OID 53440)
> --
> -- Name: pro_chars Type: TABLE DATA Owner: ennio
> -- Data Pos: 22728 (Length 67)
> --
> COPY "pro_chars" FROM stdin;
> ALT+176    °
> ALT+177    ±
> ALT+178    ²
> ALT+171    «
> ALT+187    »
> ALT+233    é
> ALT+177    ±
> \.

Whereas when I gave the successful command (with no re-directing, of
course) nothing appeared on the screen, except the warning

> pg_restore: [archiver] WARNING:
>   Data restoration may fail because existing triggers cannot be disabled
>   (no superuser user name specified).  This is only a problem when
>   restoring into a database with already existing triggers.

Thanks for the attention,
    Ennio.
--
[Perche' usare Win$ozz (dico io) se ..."anche uno sciocco sa farlo.     \\?//
 Fa' qualche cosa di cui non sei capace!"   (diceva Henry Miller) ]     (°|°)