Re: Adding VERSION to startup log output - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Honza Pazdziora
Subject Re: Adding VERSION to startup log output
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jul 03, 2004 at 11:10:23AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> > Would anybody object to adding an extra line at startup that shows the
> > version number of the database system?
>
> I don't really see the point.  The log, if it's kept around at all,
> would be about the most difficult place to extract the info from.
> "select version()" is much easier than trying to figure out where

Well, only provided you can reach the psql prompt at all. For some
cases and some types of problems, reaching the log can be easier than
getting a psql prompt.

Will the version information in log break anything?

--
http://www.fi.muni.cz/~adelton/.project:Perl, mod_perl, DBI, Oracle, large Web systems, XML/XSL, ...    Only