Re: Postgres over Linux NBD or NFS - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Matthew Nuzum
Subject Re: Postgres over Linux NBD or NFS
Date
List pgsql-performance
I just got the BigAdmin newsletter from Sun today... interestingly enough it
had a link to an article described as:

> Database Performance with NAS: Optimizing Oracle on NFS
> This paper discusses the operation of relational databases with network
> attached storage (NAS). Management implications and performance
> expectations for databases using NAS are presented.
The link points to: http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/nas/

I read just enough to see if it is relevant.  Here is the first part of the
summary:

> IT departments are increasingly utilizing Network Attached Storage (NAS)
> and the Network File System (NFS) to meet the storage needs of mission-
> critical relational databases. Reasons for this adoption include improved
> storage virtualization, ease of storage deployment, decreased complexity,
> and decreased total cost of ownership. This paper directly examines the
> performance of databases with NAS. In laboratory tests comparing NFS with
> local storage, NFS is shown capable of sustaining the same workload level
> as local storage. Under similar workload conditions, NFS does consume an
> increased number of CPU cycles; however, the proven benefits of NFS and
> NAS outweigh this penalty in most production environments.

Matthew Nuzum        | ISPs: Make $200 - $5,000 per referral by
www.followers.net        | recomending Elite CMS to your customers!
matt@followers.net    | http://www.followers.net/isp