Re: fix oid casting inconsistency - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: fix oid casting inconsistency
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 10:00:49PM -0500, Neil Conway wrote:

> This patch removes the quotes from "oid", to make this error message
> consistent with the error messages for rejected input to most other
> types.
>
> While I suppose it's possible that some applications might be
> examining this error message string, (a) this particular error message
> isn't very likely be used for that (b) we have error codes now.

This kind of error message consistency enhancement has been applied
liberally in the past.

"If you have nothing to say, maybe you need just the right tool to help you
not say it."                   (New York Times, about Microsoft PowerPoint)