Re: PostgreSQL wiki - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: PostgreSQL wiki
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 05:47:02PM +0200, Troels Arvin wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 09:42:20 -0400, Merlin Moncure wrote:

> > I have a few suggestions about revision I would like to run them by the
> > author.
>
> Each page on Wikipedia has a discussion page where you may discus the
> content of the page.

IMHO the whole "criticism" section is plain wrong.  For example it
states that Postgres "doesn't have nested transactions".  What the hell
is that supposed to mean?  Nested transaction are not part of the SQL
standard, so why would anyone want them in Postgres?  You could just as
well claim that Postgres does not make coffee on sunday morning.

If they are going to mention missing features, they could just say "some
things from the SQL standard are missing" (In the nested xacts example,
the relevant part would be "Savepoints").  But to mention everything
that's missing would take a lot of space; better point to the relevant
Postgres documentation.

Since this is a Wiki you could just register as a user and write a
better "criticism" section.  I give away the copyright of the above two
paragraphs if you want to put them in the discussion page.

"Sallah, I said NO camels! That's FIVE camels; can't you count?"
(Indiana Jones)