Re: Add error-checking to timestamp_recv - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Add error-checking to timestamp_recv
Date
List pgsql-patches
Stephen Frost wrote:
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> * Bruce Momjian (pgman@candle.pha.pa.us) wrote:
> > Stephen Frost wrote:
> > > I'll see about writing up a proper test case/schema.  Looks like I'm
> > > probably most of the way there at this point, really. ;)
> >
> > I wasn't aware you could throw binary values into the timestamp fields
> > like that.  I thought you needed to use a C string for the value.
> >
> > Does PREPARE bypass that for some reason?
>
> I don't think so..  As I recall, I think I might have had it set up w/o
> using a prepare before and it was working but I'm not sure.  It's
> certainly very useful and lets me bypass *alot* of overhead
> (converting to a string and then making the database convert back...).

Considering all the other things the database is doing, I can't imagine
that would be a measurable improvement.

> The one complaint I do have is that I don't see a way to pass a
> timestamp w/ an explicit timezone in binary format into a table which
> has a 'timestamp with timezone' field.  I can pass a binary timestamp
> into a 'timestamp with timezone' field, but it's interpreted as UTC or
> the local timezone (can't remember which atm).

I still do not understand how this is working.  It must be using our
fast path as part of prepare.  What language is you client code?