Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Mon, 17 May 2004, Alvaro Herrera Munoz wrote:
>
> > I have some confidence in that I will be able to deliver it maybe the last
> > week of May.  I can only hope, however, that it will not be rejected because
> > it's presented too close to feature freeze.
>
> There is no such thing as "too close to feature freeze", nor has there
> ever been in the past ...  other then missing it altogether.  Unless there
> are some serious flaws in the implementation, submitting it on May 31st
> would get it in ...it isn't expecting to be rock solid, bug free, that is
> what the beta period is to work out ...
>
> What is expected, though, is that you won't disappear after its committed,
> so that you can fix any bugs reported in a timely manner ...

Not completely true.  If a patch needs major rework or the implemention
isn't acceptable, it might be rejected and have to wait --- it has
happened before, and PITR might not make it because the April 1 patch
wasn't an acceptable implementation.

Pennsylvania19073