Re: pg_ctl patch to integrate apache's rotatelogs - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: pg_ctl patch to integrate apache's rotatelogs
Date
List pgsql-patches
Andrew Hammond wrote:
> There was recently a huge thread in hackers about the value of making
> postgres easier to install and use. I think this script makes
> postgres easier to use for those of us who can't use syslog.

So you're replacing

pg_ctl | rotatelogs

which everyone learns in his first hour of using Unix, by some arbitary
command-line option that people are going to have to learn.  Next week,
we'll see four or five additional patches to add support for all the
other log rotation programs.  Soon, we'll run out of logical option
letters.  How does that improve anything?

All that you're doing here is adding syntactical complexity for no
technical or usability gain.

If the documentation is insufficient, please be invited to improve it.