Re: Run-as-admin warning for win32 - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Run-as-admin warning for win32
Date
List pgsql-patches
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > > . if the installer is running as Administrator, it should create a
> > > Postgres user
> >
> > > IOW, we need to make it as easy as possible to be secure.
> >
> > No objection to that idea ...
>
> I don't think we should create a postgres user. We should tell the guy
> who installs it to do that, and have him tell us what it is, but we
> should not actually go create the user for him. That is sure to annoy a
> lot of people. Most shops I know have standard naming conventinos, and
> would not want a user called "postgres" without any qualifications.
>
> I know, small point, but I think significant.
>
> The installer-skeleton I have right now permits installation as local
> system but recommends a user account. But that's just functionality to
> remove, so that's easily done. In the other case, it prompts for
> username and password to run as.

How would it install on an XP laptop?  If I am logged in as myself and
I am listed as a "Computer Administrator", do I need to create another
user, and how do I do the install as that other user, and start/stop the
server, and stuff like that?