Feature Freeze vs Beta (Was: Re: Plan for feature freeze? ) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Feature Freeze vs Beta (Was: Re: Plan for feature freeze? )
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 1 May 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> In the past there has been little if any daylight between feature freeze
> and start of beta --- in fact, IIRC we did not distinguish these
> concepts at all until the last release or two.  It wouldn't be a bad
> idea to try to nail down the terms of discussion a bit better.

Hrmmm ... what is the difference between freezing features and going into
beta?  Beta, to me, has always meant that we are now avoiding making any
changes to the code base that would add to any instabilities in the code
base ... we know there are probably bugs, but our focus is shifting from
adding to them to resolving them ... this is primarily a -hackers group
debugging and testing period.

Release Candidate broadens that to "we believe we've got all the bugs
worked out, but wish to see wider testing then we've been able to achieve
in Beta" ...

So, where does a 'feature freeze' figure in differently then a Beta?

----