Re: Wierd context-switching issue on Xeon - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Robert Creager
Subject Re: Wierd context-switching issue on Xeon
Date
Re: Wierd context-switching issue on Xeon
List pgsql-performance
When grilled further on (Wed, 21 Apr 2004 10:29:43 -0700),
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> confessed:

> Dave,
>
> > After some testing if you use the current head code for s_lock.c which
> > has some mods in it to alleviate this situation, and change
> > SPINS_PER_DELAY to 10 you can drastically reduce the cs with tom's test.
> > I am seeing a slight degradation in throughput using pgbench -c 10 -t
> > 1000 but it might be liveable, considering the alternative is unbearable
> > in some situations.
> >
> > Can anyone else replicate my results?
>
> Can you produce a patch against 7.4.1?   I'd like to test your fix against a
> real-world database.

I would like to see the same, as I have a system that exhibits the same behavior
on a production db that's running 7.4.1.

Cheers,
Rob

--
 18:55:22 up  1:40,  4 users,  load average: 2.00, 2.04, 2.00
Linux 2.6.5-01 #7 SMP Fri Apr 16 22:45:31 MDT 2004

Attachment