Re: [pgsql-advocacy] MySQL vs PG TPC-H benchmarks - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Grega Bremec
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] MySQL vs PG TPC-H benchmarks
Date
List pgsql-performance
...and on Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 05:53:18AM -0700, Eduardo Almeida used the keyboard:

> - The configuration of the machine is:
> Dual opteron 64 bits model 240
> 4GB RAM
> 960 GB on RAID 0
> Mandrake Linux 64 with Kernel 2.6.5  (I compiled a
> kernel for this test)
> Java SDK  java version "1.4.2_04"
> PostgreSQL JDBC pg74.1jdbc3.jar
>
> - The TPC-H configuration is:
> TPC-H 2.0.0
> 100GB
> load using flat files
> Refresh functions using java

I'll just add for the reference, to those that aren't aware of it, the Java
virtual machine for x86_64 only exists in the 1.5 branch so far, and it's so
utterly unstable that most every notable shuffling around in the memory
crashes it. :)

Hence the 1.4.2_04 is a 32-bit application running in 32-bit mode.

I won't be getting into how much this affects the benchmarks as I didn't
really get into how CPU- and memory-intensive the refresh functions are in
these, so as I said - let's keep it a reference.

Cheers,
--
    Grega Bremec
    Senior Administrator