Mailing List Problems - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Crawford
Subject Mailing List Problems
Date
List pgsql-general
To whomever is coordinating the mailing list distribution volunteers:

Please ensure that the people distributing the mailing list messages
are running properly configured mail servers.

Someone is running a server at 166.70.154.50 which is using
"localhost.localdomain" as its helo greeting. This violates RFC2821
section 3.6: "The domain name given in the EHLO command MUST BE
either a primary host name (a domain name that resolves to an A RR)
or, if the host has no name, an address literal as described in
section 4.1.1."

Because non-FQDN and localhost greetings are a common attribute of
spam and viruses and because such greetings violate RFC2821 , we
reject all such messages as corporate policy.

I have just discovered that our server has rejected over 250 messages
from this incorrectly configured server this month alone. Since this
is not an uncommon filtering/blocking criteria I suspect others may
have problems as well.

The IP has no reverse DNS entry available but the netblock belongs to
XMission Internet in Salt Lake City, UT.

I reviewed our server logs. This appears to be the only PG mailer
configured this way. All other rejected "localhost.localdomain"
messages were spam.

Thanks,
Steve