Re: [PERFORM] fsync method checking - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [PERFORM] fsync method checking
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > It really just shows whether the fsync fater the close has similar
> > timing to the one before the close.  That was the best way I could think
> > to test it.
>
> Sure, but where's the "separate process" part?  What this seems to test
> is whether a single process can sync its own writes through a different
> file descriptor; which is interesting but by no means the only thing we
> need to be sure of if we want to make the bgwriter handle syncing.

I am not sure how to easily test if a separate process can do the same.
I am sure it can be done, but for me it was enough to see that it works
in a single process.  Unix isn't very process-centered for I/O, so I
don't think it would make much of a difference.  Now, Win32, that might
be an issue.