Re: [HACKERS] fsync method checking - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: [HACKERS] fsync method checking
Date
Re: [HACKERS] fsync method checking  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-performance
Tom, Bruce,

> My previous point about checking different fsync spacings corresponds to
> different assumptions about average transaction size.  I think a useful
> tool for determining wal_sync_method has got to be able to reflect that
> range of possibilities.

Questions:
1) This is an OSS project.   Why not just recruit a bunch of people on
PERFORMANCE and GENERAL to test the 4 different synch methods using real
databases?   No test like reality, I say ....

2) Won't Jan's work on 7.5 memory and I/O management mean that we have to
re-evaluate synching anyway?

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions