Re: Before ship 7.4.2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: Before ship 7.4.2
Date
List pgsql-general
On Monday 02 February 2004 07:31 pm, Gaetano Mendola wrote:
> Is someone taking care about the fact that the pgdb.py shipped with
> 7.4.1 is the wrong version? What bail me out is the fact that the
> version pgdb.py shipped with 7.4.1 is a version *pre 7.3*; we
> add the same "bug" with the 7.3 and was not solved until the 7.3.2
> distribution:

7.4.2 as a tarball does not have pgdb.py in it.  The RPMs for 7.4 and 7.4.1
mistakenly added the python client from a separate tarball.  I will not be
adding this separate tarball this time; a separate python client RPM will
have to be built.  The RPM's shouldn't editorialize, Tom Lane once said, and
including clients in the upstream RPMs that I distribute which are not in the
main tarball is editorializing (not to mention the fact that the tarball thus
inserted was of the wrong version, for which I apologize).  I accepted the
contribution of this subpackage from Kaj last time; it will be gone for
7.4.2.  Ask the python client maintainers for RPMs of their work.  It's a
separate project on gborg.postgresql.org now, so a separate RPM for
postgresql-python will need to be built by someone in the python client gborg
project, or the other python client projects.  I know that makes
distributors' lives harder (sorry Tom), but it really is necessary.

and the python client) will in the future be consistently removed from the
RPMs of the main tarball.  I once again apologize for not doing that for 7.4
and 7.4.1.  For 7.5 this will be JDBC, right?  (The JDBC RPM is pretty broken
anyway, and downloading the proper jar from jdbc.postgresql.org and making a
separate postgresql-jdbc RPM that is not a subpackage won't be hard).
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology