Re: FreeBSD config - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Dror Matalon
Subject Re: FreeBSD config
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 08:30:58PM +1300, Mark Kirkwood wrote:

> Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
>
> >Dror Matalon wrote:
> >
> >>I've read Matt Dillon's discussion about the freebsd VM at
> >>http://www.daemonnews.org/200001/freebsd_vm.html and I didn't see him
> >>saying that Freebsd uses all the free RAM for disk cache. Would you care
> >>to provide a URL pointing to that?

I noticed this passage too, but ...
> Quoting from http://www.daemonnews.org/200001/freebsd_vm.html :
>
> <snip>*
> When To Free a Page*
>
> Since the VM system uses all available memory for disk caching, there
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The VM system, as you can see from the article, is focused on paging and
caching the programs and program data. Is the cache for disk reads and
writes thrown into the mix as well?

> are usually very few truly-free pages...
> </snip>

> Got to say - a very interesting discussion you have all being having, I
> am now quite confused about what those vfs.*buf* variables actually do...

Same here.

--
Dror Matalon
Zapatec Inc