Re: [pgsql-www] Collaboration Tool Proposal - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [pgsql-www] Collaboration Tool Proposal
Date
Re: [pgsql-www] Collaboration Tool Proposal  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus wrote:
> PROPOSAL: GBorg --> GForge Migration
>
> Why do we want a full-service collaboration tool?

In terms of improving the hosting infrastructure, this would surely be a
step forward, but the problem with "collaboration" is not that the
tools are missing, it's that people are unwilling to use any tools for
issue tracking, etc.  This is in fact a near-universal problem.  If you
look at sourceforge, very few projects actually use any of the
"collaboration" tools.  If you want to get the project to do something,
you still have to use email and CVS.  And with those projects (not
necessarily on sourceforge) that have a sophisticated bug tracking
structure, the sheer number of filed bugs is so large and irregular in
quality that the bugs are in fact meaningless.  (Oddly enough, the
projects I have in mind here do *not* use a full-service collaboration
tool, just a bug tracker.  Make of that what you will.)  So yes, I
think this is a reasonable plan, just don't expect "collaboration" to
suddenly appear out of nowhere.