Re: cacheable stored functions? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: cacheable stored functions?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Bill Moran wrote:

> I'm converting a SQL application to PostgreSQL.  The majority of the logic
> in this application is in the stored functions in the database.
>
> Somewhere, I saw a reference to "WITH (iscachable)" for stored functions,
> looking again, I'm unable to find any reference to this directive.  I have
> a single function that is _obviously_ safe to cache using this, and it
> generates no errors or problems that I can see.

It's been basically superceded by IMMUTABLE, and I believe they're
described in the create function reference page.  Note that it doesn't
involve caching as much as the fact that it can be evaluated once and
treated as a constant.