Re: Postgresql on SAN - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Postgresql on SAN
Date
Slow in morning hours
Re: Postgresql on SAN
List pgsql-performance
Anjan,

> Has anyone designed/implemented postgresql server on storage networks?

Yes, Zapatec.com runs their stuff this way.  Probably others as well.

> Are there any design considerations?

I don't know.   Probably.

> Are there any benchmarks for storage products (HBAs, Switches, Storage
> Arrays)?

Not specific to PostgreSQL.    I'm sure there are generic benchmarks.   Keep
in mind that PostgreSQL needs lots of 2-way I/O, batch writes, and random
reads.

> Any recommendation on the design, resources, references, keeping PG in
> mind?

See above.   Also keep in mind that PostgreSQL's use of I/O should improve
100% in version 7.5.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions