Re: DB cache size strategies - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ed L.
Subject Re: DB cache size strategies
Date
List pgsql-general
On Friday January 30 2004 6:06, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 03:19:56PM -0700, Ed L. wrote:
> >
> > I'm also curious about the relationship of DB shared buffer cache to
> > the linux/hpux kernel caches.  ...
>
> Whenever the database needs a block not in memory it get loaded and ends
> up in both the OS cache and the DB cache. The difference between getting
> a block out of DB cache and OS cache is very, very small compared to

So the OS cache and the DB cache may well have duplicate copies of the data?
With OS cache being more susceptible to preemption from other processes?

> Finally, at least on Linux, the shared memory postgres uses for cache can
> also be swapped out making it very difficult to determine the correct
> value.

What would cause DB shared memory to be swapped out in linux?  I thought it
was all pre-allocated at pgsql startup.  Is this the "well its not really
pre-allocated but rather supplied on demand" story?  I think I saw some
sort of kernel parameter controlling a similar (same?) policy...

TIA.