Re: Advice regarding configuration parameters - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Advice regarding configuration parameters
Date
Re: Advice regarding configuration parameters  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Am Freitag, 6. Februar 2004 10:27 schrieb Thomas Hallgren:
> I would like some configuration parameters to Pl/Java and I would like some
> advice. Where should they go?
>
> 1. Something similar to postgresql.conf (it's not extendable though, is
> it?)

No, it is not.

> 2. A Table in the database in the "sqlj" schema

That could be an OK solution if you don't need to read the values every time.

> 3. Java properties file (cumbersome, must be available prior to starting
> the JVM)

Yes, probably too cumbersome.

> 4. Some other place that is obvious but not currently known to me

I have been thinking for some time about a generic mechanism to configure
procedural languages.  It could be a text array in pg_language that you could
fill at will.  That way, it would be easily available to the language handler
or the actual function.  Of course, this is still only marginally better than
a regular table in your own schema.