Re: Predictive or scoring solution for PostgreSQL ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Marc A. Leith
Subject Re: Predictive or scoring solution for PostgreSQL ?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 07:45:41 -0500, Mike Mascari wrote:

>Marc A. Leith wrote:
>
>>Quoting Mike Mascari <mascarm@mascari.com>:
>>

>>>Would Joe Conway's PL/R procedural language be any help here? I'd guess
>>>there's an R package to fit the bill, but then again I'm only on page 30
>>>of Modern Applied Statistics in S-Plus. ;-)
>>>
>>>For a turnkey modeling solution, you need more than simple stat functions. These
>>>solutions automatically transform or 'bucketize' the data and then analyze the
>>>covariance between the score variables and the known result.
>>>

>I'm obviously not in any position to define what is needed here. I only
>had business statistics in college as a requirement for an economics
>degree many years ago. However, I will say that you may be
>underestimating R's capabilities. It includes linear and non-linear
>regression models, neural networks, time-series analysis, and a host
>(and I mean 100's) of other models I have yet to fathom. I'd humbly
>speculate that the core developers, include the chairman of the
>statistics department at Oxford, would take issue with its
>characterization as "simple stat functions". But what do I know... :-)
>
>Mike Mascari

Fair enough - I took a look at the links that Joe Conway provided and it seems very powerful and feature complete. My comment was unfair, and consider it rephrased/withdrawn

- BUT is it turnkey? The original question sought a 'system' to score the database.

SAS & SPSS can be configured to do this, as likely R can be, but does that make it a system?

The solutions I suggested can be run by someone with virtually no knowledge of stats (Not that I suggest this for complex issues). They can select an appropriate model in minutes rather than needing a MA to desing a solution.

Marc

Marc A. Leith
President
redboxdata inc.