Re: I can't upgrade to PostgreSQL 7.4 in RedHat 9.0 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: I can't upgrade to PostgreSQL 7.4 in RedHat 9.0
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 04:22:29PM +1100, Stephen Robert Norris wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 13:04, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 08:50:47PM -0500, Manuel Tejada wrote:
> >
> > > By the way, what does mean RHEL3?
> >
> > "Red Hat Entreprise Linux", a commercial Linux distribution (meaning you
> > shouldn't use it unless you pay for it).
>
> No, it means you won't get support unless you pay for it, and if you get
> support for a single machine in your organisation using RHEL, you must
> get support for all of them.

It's exactly the same thing.  Using an unsupported operating system is
only a matter of time before some cracker 0wnz j00.  Of course, you
could build your own security updates, but it will be a very expensive
thing to do.  In this situation one should really consider switching to
another distribution, like, say, White Box (which is built from the
SRPMs of RHEL), or any other of the big ones.  Or go with some *BSD.

"We are who we choose to be", sang the goldfinch
when the sun is high (Sandman)