Re: PostgreSQL installation CD based on Morphix - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jean-Michel POURE
Subject Re: PostgreSQL installation CD based on Morphix
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Le Samedi 24 Janvier 2004 02:47, Josh Berkus a écrit :
> Nice idea, but the Japanese PostgreSQL User's Group has already stolen a
> march on you.  They have a Knoppix distribution with PostgreSQL,
> phpPgAdmin, PGAdminIII, phpBB and Linux+KDE already built ... we just need
> to get it localized to English.

Dear Josh,

In my e-mail, I wanted to ring a bell that, it could prove usefull to invest
time into studying Morphix installation tools.

Morphix = Knoppix + graphical installation tools
Morphix = Debian + graphical installation tools + direct boot for demo

Most users, coming from MS Windows or MySQL, have no idea:
1) How to install a Debian distribution,
2) How to configure PostgreSQL for a first connection.

A possible solution could be to:
1) Validate Morphix wizards, which are still alpha.
2) Create PostgreSQL installation/configuration wizards (Glade-2 + GTK2).

This involves programming, not only marketing. For some PostgreSQL gurus,
these programming steps could be a matter of weeks.

Cheers, Jean-Michel

*******************
Screenshots from Morphix wizards (which make Morphix different from Knoppix):

- morphixinstaller: once Morphix has booted in demo mode, you can use this
wizard to install Morphix on the disk. Screenshots:
http://developer.pgadmin.org/jean-michel/morphix/morphix_installer_step1.png
http://developer.pgadmin.org/jean-michel/morphix/morphix_installer_step2.png
http://developer.pgadmin.org/jean-michel/morphix/morphix_installer_step3.png
http://developer.pgadmin.org/jean-michel/morphix/morphix_installer_step4.png
http://developer.pgadmin.org/jean-michel/morphix/morphix_installer_step5.png
http://developer.pgadmin.org/jean-michel/morphix/morphix_installer_step6.png
http://developer.pgadmin.org/jean-michel/morphix/morphix_installer_step7.png

- isomorphgui: graphical distribution maker (select the requested packages for
your distribution and burn the ISO). Screenshots:
http://developer.pgadmin.org/jean-michel/morphix/iso_morph_gui_1.png
http://developer.pgadmin.org/jean-michel/morphix/iso_morph_gui_2.png

- partitionmorpher: resize partitions on the fly (GTK-2 interface to
libparted). Screenshots:
http://developer.pgadmin.org/jean-michel/morphix/partition_morpher_1.png
http://developer.pgadmin.org/jean-michel/morphix/partition_morpher_2.png

Cheers,