Re: High Performance/High Reliability File system on SuSE64 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: High Performance/High Reliability File system on SuSE64
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 10:18:35AM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Not I. We have had issues with JFS and data corruption on a powerout but
> XFS has been rock solid in all of our tests.

Sorry, it was Josh Berkus:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2004-01/msg00086.php

> There is nothing else on Linux that comes close to that. Plus XFS has been
> proven in a 64 bit environment (Irix).

I had lots of happy experiences with XFS when administering IRIX
boxes[1], but I don't know what differences the Linux port entailed.
Do you have details on that?  We're certainly looking for an option
over JFS at the moment.

[1] I will note, however, that it was practically the only happy
experience I had with them.  IRIX made the early Debian installer
look positively user-friendly, and SGI's desire to make everything
whiz-bang nifty by running practically every binary setuid root gave
me fits.  But XFS was nice.

--
Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
In the future this spectacle of the middle classes shocking the avant-