Re: [pgsql-advocacy] PostgreSQL installation CD based on Morphix - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jean-Michel POURE
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] PostgreSQL installation CD based on Morphix
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Le Vendredi 23 Janvier 2004 03:08, Satoshi Nagayasu a écrit :
> If you want to install to your hard drive, KNOPPIX installation script
> can help you.
> However, I think "without any installation" is more important for
> newbies.
> Any comments?

Dear Satoshi,

Your Knoppix-based CD-ROM is a great way to promote PostgreSQL. My Debian
workstation was installed using Knoppix. It worked like a charm without any
problem until now.

My point of view is that Knoppix text-based installation scripts are not
enough user-friendly for most MS Windows users.

This opinion comes from a self-study that I conducted visiting my neighbours
in order to demonstrate and install Debian. My neighbours are mostly casual
MS Windows users with no special background in computing.

Some accepted to replace MS Windows with Debian, others did not. But all of
them had problems with Knoppix text-based installation scripts.

Therefore, my personal opinion is that Knoppix with good graphical
installation wizards would 'rock'. This is how I turned to Morphix ... which
is mostly based on Knoppix. The problem is that Morphix wizards are still
very unstable.

Now, if you allow it, I will contact you privately to propose for help the
best I can ...

Best regards,
Jean-Michel