Re: deferring/disabling unique index - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: deferring/disabling unique index
Date
List pgsql-general
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> >So, does it mean that the only way to disable the index is to drop and
> >recreate it? What about setting indisunique to false temporarily?
> >

> I am just curious... why would you want to defer a unique constraint?

I remember now --- if you do:

    UPDATE tab SET col = col + 1;

you hit a unique constraint when you shouldn't need to.  I think the
workaround was:

    UPDATE tab SET col = -col + -1;

then:

    UPDATE tab SET col = -col;

This assumes all the values are positive, of course.