Re: Natural upgrade path for RedHat 9? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Natural upgrade path for RedHat 9?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Friday 09 January 2004 03:13, D. Dante Lorenso wrote:

> Is there going to be a RedHat 10?  Or are we all supposed
> to choose a path of RH Enterprise vs Fedora Core?  I have
> about 10 to 20 Redhat 9 machines in dev/qa/production that
> I'm trying to plan the futures for.

It's RH-Enterprise/Fedora from here in, the bonus should be that you know
where you stand with RH-Ent. I can't see availability being a problem, Fedora
is going to have all the standard packages available and even in the worst
case scenario will be around for a few years. RedHat can't afford *not* to
support their Enterprise product, so that's about as safe a choice as you can
get.

The question is whether you want free, but rapidly changing with no corporate
support, 350 USD/EUR per year with regular patches, 1500 USD/EUR per year
with support too. RedHat have some documents on their site describing the
differences.

There has also been talk about third-parties providing security-only patches
to older RedHat versions, but I don't know if any of these has/will happen.

In your case, I'm guessing it depends on your budget. If your machines cost
5000 each then I'm guessing 350 p.a. isn't too bad. On the other hand if they
are cheap 700 EUR white-boxes, the price might not look so good.

They seem to be your options - the beauty is, if you don't like them you can
always switch to another distribution.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd