Re: remove obsolete NULL casts - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Kurt Roeckx
Subject Re: remove obsolete NULL casts
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 04:31:40PM -0500, Neil Conway wrote:
> In any modern dialect of C, casting the "NULL" pointer literal to a
> specific pointer type is unnecessary. For example:
>
>     char *foo;
>     foo = malloc(...);
>     if (foo == (char *) NULL) {...}

In src/backend/port/darwin/system.c you replaced:

execl(_PATH_BSHELL, "sh", "-c", command, (char *) NULL);

By:
execl(_PATH_BSHELL, "sh", "-c", command, NULL);

I think that is one of the exceptions where you do have to cast
it, because the type is unknown.  You can only remove the cast
when you actually know what pointer type it is.

Kurt