Re: 'like' refuses to use an index??? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martin Marques
Subject Re: 'like' refuses to use an index???
Date
List pgsql-general
El Mar 30 Dic 2003 19:06, Tom Lane escribió:
> Mike Nolan <nolan@gw.tssi.com> writes:
> > However, I think RH always sets the LANG environmental variable, so
> > that's going to be picked up by initdb, which means that the C locale
> > will NOT be used unless specifically asked for.  Other OS packages may
> > also force the choice of a default LANG value.
>
> Yeah.  There have been some discussions on pgsql-hackers about
> defaulting to C locale instead of honoring LANG, but we haven't done
> anything.

Which would the loses be in using C locale, for example, for Spanish speeking
people, where we have acute letters and ñ (charset iso-8859-1)? Would it be
only ordering?

--
select 'mmarques' || '@' || 'unl.edu.ar' AS email;
Martín Marqués                  |        mmarques@unl.edu.ar