Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sunday 28 December 2003 23:50, Keith C. Perry wrote:
> Quoting Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar@myrealbox.com>:
> > are just part of bit steeper learning curve of a standard way of doing
> > things..
> This is what I don't get.  Why do people thing learn PG is going to be like
> learning MySQL in the first place?  Because its OSS??  I certainly hope
> not. This is apples to oranges.

Certainly.. but people do that. Because copmparing unknown to a known idea is
only way to learn it.

If all I know is mysql, I am going to try and model postgresql to fit mysql
point of view. Soon enough postgresql will grow out of it but that is a
different story.

> I read someone say the documentation was "light" too.  I'm not sure what
> that meant but I looked for at the 3 inch doubled side binded of my 7.3.2
> docs- admin,user &,programmer- its as big as my J2EE binder.

That is right. but that fact remains that postgresql documentation is just
sufficient. If you read the manual and follow it religously to comma and
fullstop, it tells you everythings. But it certainly isn't a place where you
can glance over it and get hang of it.

Now how good practice of 'glance over and get hang of it' is, remains a topic
of debate though..:-)

 Shridhar